Skip to content
AudaStories
Open app
New York Stock Exchange Building

New York Stock Exchange Building

The Temple of American Capital

Photo: TomasEE · Commons · CC BY 3.0 · Cropped & Resized

Transcript

On the morning of April 23, 1903, a gavel struck a block on a brand-new trading floor on Broad Street in Lower Manhattan, and dozens of brokers surged forward, each one desperate to make the very first trade in the most powerful financial building in the world. The New York Times reported that they "vied with each other for the honour of making the first business transaction." That scramble said everything about what this place was and what it was meant to be: not merely a building, but the engine room of American capitalism, dressed in the marble columns of ancient Greece.

The building that opened that morning stands at the corner of Broad Street and Wall Street in New York City's Financial District, and it remains there today. Its most recognisable feature is the great colonnade facing Broad Street, six tall columns rising above a two-storey podium, topped by a sculpted pediment depicting the figures of commerce and industry. Behind that facade is a trading floor seventy-two feet high. For most of the twentieth century, that room was the loudest place in American finance. By the 2020s, the Financial Times would describe it as "largely a TV studio." The story of how it got from one to the other is the story of money itself changing shape.

Long before the 1903 building existed, Wall Street had been a place of trade. Goods were bought and sold there as early as 1725. For decades, auctioneers handled securities informally until, in 1792, a group of brokers signed an agreement under a buttonwood tree to organise trading among themselves. That agreement eventually became the New York Stock Exchange. The organisation re-formed more formally in 1817 as the New York Stock and Exchange Board, renting space at several locations around Lower Manhattan, including the Tontine Coffee House, before settling into a dedicated home.

In December 1865, the exchange moved to a building at 10 Broad Street, a T-shaped structure between Wall Street and Exchange Place. The exchange itself occupied a second-storey room. Growth was rapid: when it absorbed a rival organisation in 1869, its membership nearly doubled, from around five hundred and eighty to over a thousand. The exchange bought out its own landlord in 1870 and began expanding the building. A redesign by the architect James Renwick Junior reopened in September 1871, but within eight years even that expansion was too small.

More land was bought, another extension completed in 1881, the board room pushed outward again in 1887. By the end of the 1890s, the structure was overcrowded for the third time. Every expansion had simply bought a few more years before the crush of trading overwhelmed the walls. The exchange's leaders eventually faced a conclusion they had been avoiding: the old building could not be patched any further. It had to be replaced entirely.

The NYSE acquired the plots at 16 to 18 Broad Street in late 1898, after two years of negotiation, paying over eight hundred thousand dollars for the land alone. Eight architects were invited to compete for the design of the replacement building. The publicist Ivy Lee captured the ambition of the brief: the structure was to be "both monumental architecturally and equipped with every device that mechanics, electricity or ingenuity could supply." The primary requirement was a trading floor that was open, uninterrupted, and large enough to handle the volume of the world's most important securities market.

In December 1899, the exchange's governing committee unanimously chose the submission of George B. Post, an architect already known for large commercial buildings in New York. Post spent the next year refining his design. By July 1900, the exchange had arranged to conduct its trading temporarily at the New York Produce Exchange at Bowling Green while construction proceeded. Post filed his plans with the city in April 1901. Eight days later, trading stopped at the old building for the last time. The cornerstone was laid on September 9, 1901.

Construction was not simple. The old vault beneath the site had to be preserved while new foundations were dug around it, then delicately demolished once the new vault was ready. The original schedule called for completion within a year of the old building's closure. Various complications pushed the opening back by twelve months. The committee chairman overseeing the work, a man named Thomas, defended the delay plainly: where so many members spent the active years of their lives, they were entitled to the best that skill could produce.

Over two thousand guests attended the dedication ceremony on April 22, 1903. Rudolph Keppler, the president of the exchange, gave a speech. Seth Low, the mayor of New York City, also spoke. The colonnade facing Broad Street wore its new pediment, designed by the sculptor John Quincy Adams Ward and his collaborator Paul Wayland Bartlett, its allegorical figures of commerce and industry presiding over the street below. The architectural critic Montgomery Schuyler called the finished building a "very brilliant and successful piece of work." Percy Stuart of Architectural Record predicted it would be "a fitting precursor of an age destined for great buildings."

The new building's early decades were turbulent. The Panic of 1907 saw the exchange drop by nearly half from its previous peak. Then, in the summer of 1914, the outbreak of the First World War in Europe prompted investors to liquidate securities for gold on such a scale that the trading floor was shut completely for four months, the longest closure in the exchange's history to that point. War also brought unexpected growth: wartime stocks drove a surge in trading, and by 1916 the exchange was even considering absorbing the rival New York Curb Exchange, which operated informally on the street outside. That plan failed, and the Curb eventually built its own building several blocks to the west.

Read full transcript (9 more paragraphs)

On September 16, 1920, a bomb exploded on the street directly outside the NYSE Building. Thirty-eight people were killed and hundreds more were injured. The exchange itself reopened the following morning. The attack left no permanent mark on the building's exterior, but it hardened the institution's sense of its own symbolic weight.

By the early 1920s, the exchange had outgrown its 1903 building again. In December 1918, it bought the neighbouring Mortimer Building to the northeast, and in January 1920 it leased another building to the northwest. The architecture firm Trowbridge and Livingston received the commission to design a twenty-three-storey annex at 11 Wall Street, giving the exchange its first full frontage on Wall Street. The annex included an additional trading floor nicknamed the Garage. By August 1922 it was nearly complete, with about sixty per cent of its office space already leased. The Garage opened for trading in the last week of December 1922.

The Wall Street Crash of 1929 struck suddenly. Share prices fell twenty-three per cent in two days, an event widely cited as a trigger of the Great Depression. In March 1933, after President Franklin D. Roosevelt signed the Emergency Banking Act, the trading floor closed for over a week. The marble sculptures on the Broad Street pediment had deteriorated by 1936 and were quietly replaced with metal figures, a substitution kept secret for eighteen years. At the end of the Depression, the exchange grew again. During the Second World War, women were allowed to trade in the building for the first time in its history.

The postwar decades brought a new cycle of expansion. By 1967, the exchange's governors voted to push the trading floor into the neighbouring building at 20 Broad Street. That extension, nicknamed the Blue Room, opened in July 1969, adding eight thousand square feet of trading space. Computer facilities were moved to Paramus, New Jersey. Plans for a new headquarters along the East River were drawn up and shelved. Rumours of a merger with the American Stock Exchange circulated in 1977 and came to nothing. The building kept growing inward and outward, floor by floor, decade by decade.

By the 1990s, the exchange was seriously considering leaving Broad Street altogether. Developer Donald Trump proposed a one-hundred-and-forty-storey tower on the East River waterfront for the NYSE, which would have been the tallest building in the world. Other sites considered included Bowling Green, the World Financial Center in Battery Park City, and a location across the Hudson River in Jersey City. City and state authorities offered six hundred million dollars in tax incentives to keep the exchange in the Financial District. The exchange briefly agreed to a plan for a glass-covered atrium above Broad Street, approved by the city in December 1998, but dropped it as electronic trading began to make the whole question of physical space feel less urgent.

The September 11, 2001, attacks closed the trading floor for several days, only the third multi-day closure in the building's history. Security bollards appeared around the perimeter. A pedestrian-only zone sealed off the surrounding streets. The exchange decentralised some operations and cancelled its planned Lower Manhattan expansion in 2002. Then, quietly, the floor began to empty. In 2004, the trading floor still handled eighty per cent of trades. By 2007, that figure had fallen below half. The 30 Broad Street trading floor closed in February 2007. Later that year, the Blue Room and its extension at 20 Broad Street closed too.

What remained was the original main floor and the Garage at 11 Wall Street. The building had been designated a National Historic Landmark in 1978, and the city's Landmarks Preservation Commission, after decades of resistance from the exchange itself, finally granted landmark status to 18 Broad Street on July 9, 1985. The columns on the facade became the NYSE's official logo. In 1989, the sculptor Arturo Di Modica installed his bronze Charging Bull in front of the building in an act of guerrilla art; it was removed within a day and eventually placed two blocks south at Bowling Green. In 2018, Kristen Visbal's Fearless Girl was moved from Bowling Green to stand on the Broad Street side of the building instead.

The trading floor that opened in 1903 to the sound of a gavel and a hundred competing brokers is still there, behind the same colonnade, under the same allegorical figures of commerce and industry. The room is quieter now. The Wall Street Journal noted in the mid-2020s that financial firms had been drifting away from the neighbourhood for years. Most of the trades that once filled the floor with noise happen electronically, in server rooms in New Jersey. The building endures: a classical temple that outlasted the rituals it was built to house, its columns still presiding over the corner of Broad and Wall as they have for well over a century.

What the building ultimately represents is the gap between symbol and function. It was designed to make visible the authority of American capital, to give it a face as solid and permanent as marble. That face has never stopped working. The cameras still point at the opening bell. Executives still ring it from the balcony above the floor. The colonnade still appears on the exchange's logo, still anchors the image of Wall Street in the mind of anyone who has ever seen a news broadcast about markets rising or falling. The building succeeded so completely as a symbol that the symbol survived long after the activity it symbolised moved somewhere else entirely.

Read the full article on Wikipedia

Image: TomasEE, CC BY 3.0 · AI-narrated · Drawn from Wikipedia · CC BY-SA 4.0

Related stories